Monday, January 22, 2007

DAILY DOSE, 01.22.07

One of my many responsibilities as the Reverend of the Church of the Everlasting Groove is to set an example for the rest of the Funky Congregation. My favorite sacred duty is to go forth into the world and evangelize to the Funkless Masses. The best way to do this is to burn a mixed CD of some of the Sacred Cuts, throw it in the car stereo, roll down the windows, turn the Funk up to an acceptable volume (i.e., loud as you can stand), and drive around.

Though some of the Funkless Masses might shoot you the "stink eye," give you the finger, or yell at you to "Turn that jungle music down!" (remember, I live in the South, so that kind of thing still happens 'round these here parts), they will, one day, thank you. One day they will hear the Groove, the Funk will enter their heart (and booty), and that person will remember hearing the glorious strains of whatever it is you were, as the kids say, "straight bumpin'" at the time.

The other day, I actually got a couple of "thumbs up" from two older ladies in a minivan while I was cruising through a fast foot parking lot and listening to...

Parliament - "Do That Stuff" (From the Album "The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein")

As the Continental would say, "Wow! Wowie-Wow-Wow!" This song has always been tied for my "Best P-Funk/Clinton Cut," along with "Mothership Connection (Starchild)" and "Bop Gun (Endangered Species)." The horns are great (I'm a sucker for horns), the bass is, as always, Funktastic, and that plaintive, off-beat cymbal makes me play air-drums every time I hear it. And there's a repeated line that perfectly sums up everyone in the Church: "You wouldn't believe how they party!"

No comments: