Friday, June 15, 2007

THE BEST THING TO COME OUT OF BELGIUM SINCE THOSE WAFFLES...

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I'm a metalhead who talks a lot of smack about pop music in general, but there are some groups that I can't help but groove to, fawn over, and love unconditionally.

One of these is the Belgian act Hooverphonic, a trip-hop/pop group fronted by the sexy and sulty Geike Arnaert, who has, as far as this guy right here is concerned, one of the most beautiful voices in music today. They have a new album coming out this fall (Glee!), so, until then, here are a few select cuts...

Club Montelpuciano (From "Blue Wonder Power Milk")

Gorgeous! From the simple, ascending chimes to the James-Bond-Like guitar line, it's the kind of song that makes people involuntarily sway from side to side. As Ron Burgundy would say, "This is baby-making music."

One (From "Jackie Cane")

Another flowing, easy-going song that should serve as a template for all the other pop bands out there. A great beat, some more of that trademark "Spy Guitar," and, unlike a lot of other pop songs I've heard, amazing back-up vocals. How often do you listen to a song and sing the back-up vocals instead of the lead?

Vinegar and Salt (From "The Magnificent Tree")

This song is a bit slower, with a delicious piano, and it really lets Geike loose to show off her pipes. Lovin' that chorus...

2 comments:

Dikkii said...

Speaking of Belgian acts, did you ever get into Deus?

Weird power pop act, but kinda cool. Worth checking out.

Thinking of starting a monthly post on my blog where I review a rock epic each month. Dunno if I can be bothered just yet, but you of all people might like this if I ever get it started.

The Rev. Jenner J. Hull said...

Do it, my man. I'm always up for hearing about new music, the weirder and more esoteric the better.

And I've not yet heard of Deus, so that's next on my list...