Monday, March 5, 2007

DAILY DOSE OF HOME

The Rev. Jenner J. Hull is back in VA for the week. It's a bittersweet sojourn, because I'm cat-sitting for my parents and I'm highly allergic to cats.

Yeah. I know. "How can you even stay in the house?"

It's actually not so bad because the feline in question, Loki (the Norse God of Mischief), is mostly an outside cat. I'll have to take an allergy pill every morning but, honestly, it ain't as horrible as it should be. Although, I do have to wash my hands every time I touch the cat. If I don't and I happen to touch my face, it's over. The breathing stops, the eyes close up, and the face swells up; if I don't have an inhaler handy, I might just find out if, as an atheist, I'm right or wrong.

In this case, Death is yellow and white, soft and furry, and likes to rub up against your legs. And he's adorable. The bastard...

We don't quite know why, but we're designating this week as "Modern Funk Week." Until I return to the beach, we're going to be showcasing only modern bands and artists who are not only Funky (because, as we've seen, even country singers like Jerry Reed can be Funky) but intentionally bring the Funk on a regular basis.

First, the best rock/gospel/blues band you've never heard...

Robert Randolph and the Family Band - "I Need More Love" (From "Unclassified")

Robert Randolph cut his pedal steel teeth playing in church, and it shows. The Family Band's groove combines strong gospel influences with all kinds of rock, blues, and, of course, Funk. The result is one of the tightest "jam bands" on the planet and a Funky force to be reckoned with.

The best part of "I Need More Love" is Danyel Morgan's mesmerizing bass and surprising voice; the guy looks like a UFC fighter but hits high parts like every pop singer wishes he could.

This is another one of those songs; if you can't get down to it, there's something seriously wrong with you.

No comments: